Antenna pointing direction
Directional antennas, unlike omnidirectional antennas, must certanly be directed being receive the best sign from your own cellular carrier(s). Here are a few what to know beforehand:
- Many directional antennas can protect about 15% associated with horizon (between 50 and 60 degrees), so your aiming does not have to be laser-precise. Being down by just a little might however work alright.
- In virtually all situations, the antenna should always be amount and also using horizon. Don't make an effort to aim the antenna up over a roof or nearby hurdles.
- You should attempt to aim the antenna before making a decision where you should completely attach it. Once you know what way the antenna should always be pointed, try to find a location in the building so the antenna is directed out of the building. If you need to aim your antenna North, you really need to install the antenna on the North side of the building pointed far from it, instead of the South side pointed over the building.
Even though you know precisely where your carrier’s tower is found, it is still best if you go through this aiming procedure! The cellular signal may possibly not be coming right from tower either because of hurdles in the way (structures, hills, etc.) or since the tower may not have an antenna aimed within way.
Preparing to Aim the Antenna
To start out, briefly setup your sign booster system by running the cables through doorways or house windows, connect every thing collectively, and energy in the system. To aim the antenna, you’ll ideally require two different people. One individual will stay around with a cell phone from each service that you want to support. The phone(s) ought to be in Field Test Mode in order to take decibel signal readings, which are much more precise than taverns. Position the phone(s) on a table or other surface between 10 and 20 ft. from the inside antenna and leave them in the same location through to the aiming is finished. If it's a directional inside antenna, be sure that the leading associated with the antenna is aimed right within phone(s).
The 2nd individual will likely to be up on the roof (or wherever you intend to mount the surface antenna) and will also be intending the surface antenna. If at all possible, you want the antenna mounted to a-pole that you could hold versus holding the antenna directly since keeping the antenna can impact the performance.
Process for Gauging Signal Strengths
- Start with the surface antenna directed in one single direction. Anyone around should then wait one minute and then capture the signal readings from phone(s). it is additionally best if you check the caution lights in the booster to record any warnings the thing is.
- After that, turn the surface antenna 45 levels or 1/8th for the way around. This might correspond to the 8 compass points (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW). Once the antenna has been rotated 45 degrees, anyone in should once more wait 60 seconds then take another set of signal readings.
- Continue this procedure until you’ve directed the surface antenna in all 8 directions and have now 8 units of sign readings.
Interpreting the outcomes
Once you've the signal readings, you’ll need find the course that gave you the best readings for al regarding the companies that you would like to support. In the event that you took decibel readings, then seek out the readings which are closest to 0. like, a -70 dB reading surpasses a -90 dB reading. The more powerful the sign, the more coverage you’ll get from system.
As soon as you’ve identified the most suitable course, discover a place to install the antenna therefore it can point in that way with since handful of obstacles as possible. Preferably, you want the antenna on that side of the building pointing from the building.
Handling Warning Lights During the Testing Process
If, while evaluation, you discover that we now have caution lights in the booster, consult with your owner’s manual for all about what caused the warning. If warning light is due to oscillation (comments), try retesting in that direction but boost the separate between your outside and inside antennas. In the event that caution is because of overload (also powerful of a signal via a nearby tower), then aiming procedure will however work properly by working for you discover direction in which the system performs the most effective. In either case, you should try energy biking the booster after re-aiming the surface antenna to ensure that the booster isn’t shutdown considering circumstances in the formerly directed course.